Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Found a new quilt store... uh oh

So much for my downsizing!  I sent out a large package to one quilter who needed batiks for her ministry;  I have three other piles ready to ship out.  And while driving I found a new local quilt store that just opened that I'd been trying to find.  

Adorable!  All bright and modern things, totally different than what I'm used to buying.

So, of course, I had to stop in and spend a little money.  What fun! Kind of inconsistent with my downsizing but I'm trying!  Someone bought my Tutto trolley and I sold a jelly roll I never opened.

Anyway, I did get a little sewing done this week. All caught up on the triangle gatherings!  The contrast on the first one didn't come out as I'd hope but the fabric is adorable.  It's got little skunks. And it's not Tula Pink.  Not sure you can make them out but I'm keeping it the way it is.  I don't think it'll matter in the large quilt this is going to be.



I think this house fabric is adorable!

And I laid out the Temecula Quilt Marvelous Mini... found the perfect sashing for the large strips and a diagonal stripe for the sashings between the little blocks.  Now to sew it together and get it quilted. I will actually finish something.  What a concept! VBG 


I also decided that I was completely tired of the ratty, run down cutting mat I had next to my sewing machine so I got myself another Martelli cutting mat.  If you have never used one, you are missing out.  It's hands down the best mat available.  It's pricey but you never have to replace it.  It is "self-healing".  When I was in Maine at the quilt show with Wendy Reed, I did talk her into buying one and she's delighted with it.  You can use it either on the yellow side or the purple side.  I have one at our cabin in Oregon as well.  I found mine on Amazon and got it at a discount, with free shipping.  WELL worth the investment!


I am still going to sell my Singer 301 black long-bed, even though it's a real beauty.  It sews great but I just don't use it and I'm over collecting machines.  So if you are interested or know anyone looking for one, let me know.  It even has the original case (which looks like a suitcase!) as well as a buttonhole attachment (contraption, in my opinion) and other accessories.  I even bought a special foot so you don't need to use a toe to operate the button.  If you've sewn on a featherweight or a 301, you'll know what I mean. I like the 301 much better than the featherweight but that's just my $.02

The winners of my batik giveaway are:
Shirl S.
Elle
Quilting Babcia 

Please email me your mailing address and I'll send them off to you.
randyiris@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. Isn't that just the way--it seems that the universe heard you wanted to de-stash and so, of course, it set you up to find a great new source of fabric lol I love your Marvelous Minis and think that will be a great sashing fabric...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! New quilt shops are always drawing our attention away from the stash we've already accumulated, aren't they! That cutting mat looks marvelous, especially for aging eyes that can't see the edge of dark fabrics against a green background. We may just need to get one for our group to share since all but one of us are in that 70-plus category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...love your blocks and your top Randy !!
    There is a new quilt shop close to my house too ! I will take some photos in a few days ! woop woop !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skunk fabric may be cute to those of you that don't have them nesting somewhere on your farm. Okay, I'll admit that when I see the babies toddling through the pasture it makes me smile for a second. Then I remember that they grow up. :)
    Of course, you find a new quilt shop when you are trying to downsize!
    Your Temecula quilt will be very cute. Great fabric choices!
    Those mats look really nice.
    What are the differences between a Singer 301 and a featherweight that make you prefer it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the skunks! I actually love watching the skunks roam around our neighborhood. Those Temecula blocks are darling and I love the setting fabric you chose. And again, I am so thrilled with my new mat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New shops are fun, especially when it's different than what you're used to in style. I've been wanting for a 301 for awhile and would be interested in yours.

    ReplyDelete